Are you thankful for a cozy winter Detroit Lions hat to help hide a flaky scalp? Or confident flakes you brush off are snow and not dandruff? Decide this winter. The choice is easy once you read these helpful dermatology tips:
1) Avoid lathering anti-dandruff shampoo throughout the hair.
Medicated shampoos should be concentrated only at the root of the problem, the scalp. Otherwise, the shampoo can cause dryness, making the hair brittle and prone to breakage. Wash the hair with a non-medicated shampoo instead.
2) Leave anti-dandruff shampoo on the scalp for at least 10 mins, then rinse.
Rinsing medicated shampoo out prematurely won't be of any benefit. Give it time to work. Let it be the first product applied when entering the shower. Ten minutes quickly pass while washing other areas.
3) Always follow anti-dandruff shampoos with an excellent conditioner.
While lathering and rinsing the scalp, it is inevitable that some hair will come in contact with the shampoo. Conditioning the hair after anti-dandruff treatments will give additional protection against lusterless and brittle hair.
4) Don't use antidandruff shampoos daily.
Three times a week until the dandruff is controlled is sufficient enough. Those with curly hair are advised to use medicated shampoos every 1-2 weeks to prevent further dryness.
5) If over-the-counter products aren't resolving the dandruff, seek care from a board-certified dermatologist.
Have more questions? Ask away. Receive an answer from our board-certified dermatologist today for free. Happy #DermTipTuesday!